Drew’s Movie Reviews

judging others because i can’t make anything better, at least i’ll try and appreciate them

Midsommar

Image result for midsommar poster

I was first introduced to the work of Ari Aster with his debut hit Hereditary. As a fan of good horror, this movie impressed me in so many ways, so much so that I decided to use it as one of my two films in my Comparative Study in the second year of IB Cinematography. It was something unlike anything that I had seen before and intrigued and disturbed me on many different levels. Midsommar is not like it’s predecessor, but I can still say that it undoubtedly provided a unique viewing experience that I had never had the pleasure/misfortune of viewing. This film is very ambitious which I really appreciated and tackles a wealth of dark, complex themes without hesitation. Even though it could seem seemly unfocused or overly blatant in the use of symbolism, the ideas and imagery presented are nothing short of thought-provoking and spare the audience no expense. The viewer is put just as firmly in the ride the village provides as the characters in the story. While I found the writing, especially near the end, underwhelming at times, I was completely captured by the cinematography and editing of this film. The bright and vibrant color palette of the film completely contrasts with a film like Hereditary and challenges the conventions of the genre while managing to be creative, eerie, and downright beautiful. I also found the framing and blocking of the dialogue scenes early on in the film to be fascinating, using mirrors, space, and good acting to clearly show the troubled dynamic of the relationship and friend group. One of the biggest ways I felt that Ari Aster stepped up his editing game from Hereditary to Midsommar was in his transitions. They rarely took the easy way out, always finding a creative way to move from one scene to the next and the transition from the apartment to the airplane has to be one of my favorites I have seen in a long while. Albeit this film was not everything that I had hoped it would be, I appreciated what a movie like this does for the genre and want to show support for filmmakers who take risks like this. The film is gorgeous and gross, light and dark, and horrifying and humorous. This is not a film that I would recommend to many unable to appreciate what was done in its use of editing and cinematography but I am looking forward to seeing what Aster had instore for us next.

Rating: 7.75/10